From: Healthy Home Cafe (very slightly edited)
- 2 large brown onions (330 g), peeled and diced (or 1 onion and 1 leek)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large stalks celery (2 ½ cups), diced
- 4 medium carrots (3 ¾ cups), diced
- 2 cups diced pumpkin (approx. 300g)
- 1 kg (6) organic chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 cup (200 g) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 litres chicken stock (2L water + one Massel stock cube)
- 3 cups water (or as much as you can fit in saucepan)
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chives and/or coriander, chopped
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. When hot add the onions and the oil and sautee for 5 minutes until the onions soften and start to brown on the edges.
- Add the celery, carrots and pumpkin and sautee for 2-3 minutes, then add chicken drumsticks and sautee for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add pearl barley, chicken stock and water and bring to the boil
- Place a lid on the pot, turn heat down and simmer for 60 minutes, until the barley is soft and the chicken starts to fall off the bones of the drumsticks
- Remove drumsticks from soup pot and set aside to cool
- When cold, strip the meat off the bones (removing any fat) and add back to the soup along with pepper
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required
- Just before serving stir through most of the fresh herbs, reserving a little to garnish each bowl.