- 1 ½ – 2 litres chicken stock infused with 1cm ginger bashed and 2 spring onions screwed up and tied into a loose knot
- 1 cup jasmine rice, washed and drained
- 1 organic chicken maryland
- 1 organic chicken breast
- 1cm ginger bashed
- 3 spring onions, chopped finely, green part only
- Few sprigs of coriander including stalks, chopped
- 1/3 cup fried shallots
- Light soy sauce
- White pepper
- Few drops of sesame oil
Place chicken stock, rice, both chicken pieces and ginger into a medium pot and bring to the boil. Lower to a simmer and cook until the rice has broken down to a thick soup. Congee may be cooked to several different stages and textures depending on what your preference is.
To serve, remove chicken and shred finely. Return the shredded meat to the congee. Spoon one to two ladles of congee into a bowl and you may either serve with a sprinkle of spring onions, coriander, shallots, a drizzle of soy, pinch of white pepper and sesame oil or just have the garnishes and seasonings in the middle of the table for your guests to help themselves.