- 1 cup milk (almond, soy or rice milk works too)
- 1 cup oats (can be quick oars or regular rolled)
- 1 egg (or 1/4 cup of mashed banana or 1 tablespoon flax seed mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of water)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (canola/coconut) or melted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (can be half wholemeal)
- 1/2 cup sugar (less if you’re adding sweet fruit e.g. mashed banana)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder*
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and oats. Soak for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg and oil; stir in oatmeal mixture. In a third bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients, just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups until cups are 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- Add approx a third to a half cup sultanas / frozen berries / grated carrot / anything else
- Add a mix of a brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped walnut to the center of the muffin (spoon a bit of batter into the muffin tin, add a layer of the sugar and nut mixture and then top with the rest of the batter until the cup is just about full)
*original recipe says 1 tsp baking soda but I used baking powder and the muffins were fine.
From And Then We Saved