Matt & Pickle
- 600 g rolled oats
- 850 ml un-chlorinated* spring water (*this is essential for the souring to work)
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons unrefined salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
Day 1: Souring/soaking
Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Massage the mixture well with your hands, cover and set aside at room temperature for 12–24 hours.
Day 2: Cooking
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with oven mats or baking paper.
Once soured/soaked, the mixture should be wet and easy to spread. Using damp hands or a wet spatula, spread the mixture thinly, about 2–3 mm, over the oven mats and bake for about 50 minutes until golden brown.
Flip the flat sheet of oat cracker out onto a rack and place it in the oven for a further 5–10 minutes – when it’s ready, the sheet should be golden brown, dry, a little crunchy but still a tiny bit soft and chewy in places.
Take the crackers out of the oven, allow to cool and cut or break into small rectangles. Eat fresh or pack into an airtight container and store on the pantry shelf to eat as you desire.